North Carrollton, Mississippi, came into being as a town in 1889. North Carrolton is separated from the historic Town of Carrollton by Big Sand Creek. Originally called Rathbone, businesses started to grow and a post office was established in 1892. Mr. Jesse D. Guner was the first postmaster. In 1899, the name Rathbone was no longer used and the town was incorporated as North Carrollton.
The town of North Carrollton has many historical facts. Georgia Pacific laid train tracks and even built a depot in 1889. From there, the town was developed around these tracks. At one time the town of North Carrollton had a variety of stores which included, dry good stores, drug stores, bank, livery stables, lumber companies, three cotton gins, oil mill and even a hotel. The town was known as “ the center for horse and mule trading”. The town even had its own artesian well located in the center of town, which now has been cemented over and now proudly displays the U.S. Flag. The town had an icehouse owned by Clarence and Mary Sue Bennett. The town even had its own theater where top motion pictures were shown.
At present day the Town of North Carrollton is still a thriving historic town. Today’s town has twenty-eight productive businesses. The Carrollton / North Carrollton Volunteer Fire Station is housed in North Carrollton. The town is the home of J.Z. George High School, which is named after J.Z. George, former U.S. senator and author of the Mississippi constitution. Located not far out of North Carrollton is the senator’s historical home Cotesworth. Also located in North Carrollton is the home of U.S. Senator Trent Lott’s uncle, the former U.S. Senator, Arnie Watson. On the skirts of town is Evergreen Cemetery, which is the burial place of U.S. Senators, J.Z. George and H.D. Money. The town has three churches, among them the North Carrollton Methodist Church, organized in 1902.
We Invite you to visit our website and enjoy the slideshow presentation of our historic little town across the bridge. (For slideshow click on thumbnail above and below on this page.)